Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Kindergarten Recital

     My daughter Janelle's first Kindergarten Recital.  The long awaited and well rehearsed event was here!  I had volunteered to help with the leading the children on and off the stage, and the exit way unavoidably led to the outside of the building, so I had to be sure to lead them to safety back stage, and not to the dark outside.  With little 4 year old Jimmy attached to one hand, I managed to one handedly steer the children to the correct destination.  All at once, one child slipped on the exit steps and was falling.  I reached to catch her with both hands, and set her back in a safe position.  Then I turned around, in just seconds to grab Jimmy's hand again, and Jimmy was no where to be found.  I immediately searched through the crowds calling his name, to no avail.  He had just disappeared!  I immediately panicked and raced through the multitude of people hunting and shouting out for him.  Teachers and other parents began looking and calling out, but he seemed to be nowhere.  It was a very dark night, and the school was located in an area that was not very well lit up and neighborhood was very scary for a small blond headed child of 4, alone.  Fifteen of the longest minutes in my life passed by.  They seemed endless, horrifying and very bleak.  Out of the dark I spied two young men, both who looked like Mormon Missionaries, with short hair and bright colored backpacks, and preppy  windbreaker coats, who looked, dressed, and acted NOTHING like the type of boys who usually walked that area.   In between them was my little gem, Jimmy, holding tightly to their hands and looking very safe and warm.  I screamed his name, and he came running....one of the boys stated, "Is this your mom?"  The other one said, "We found him in the parking lot."  I grabbed him up and hugged him so hard, I never wanted to let go again.  Tears streaming, I then turned to thank the young men, and they had disappeared in the darkness, never to hear my thankfulness and appreciation.  I truly think these young men were angels sent from the Lord to guide my child back to safety.  I shall look forward to the day that I may thank them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment